along with yesterdays bagpipes, the drummers were also part of the festivities with a special function. the drum (along with a trumpet) has been used throughout history to get your attention. and this is exactly why it is used here. the drums were saved for the end of the 12-night party - to get the party-goers attention. the 12th night party was held on the eve of epiphany. epiphany is the celebration of the arrival of the three wisemen or magi to see the christ child bringing gifts with them. the drums were used at the end of the party to signify the arrival of the kings.
the last christian symbol we get from the 12 days is the 12 points of doctrine from the apostles creed. the apostle creed, with the points numbered, is as follows:
1. I believe in God the Father, Almighty, Maker of heaven and earth:
2. And in Jesus Christ, his only begotten Son, our Lord:
3. Who was conceived by the Holy Ghost, born of the Virgin Mary:
4. Suffered under Pontius Pilate; was crucified, dead and buried: He descended into hell:
5. The third day he rose again from the dead:
6. He ascended into heaven, and sits at the right hand of God the Father Almighty:
7. From thence he shall come to judge the quick and the dead:
8. I believe in the Holy Ghost:
9. I believe in the holy catholic church: the communion of saints:
10. The forgiveness of sins:
1l. The resurrection of the body:
12. And the life everlasting. Amen.
hope you have a wonderful 12th night celebration! the 12-days are over. but our learning isn't. stop in tomorrow for a look at epiphany and later a final look at the popular carol, 12 days of chirstmas.